Tuesday, January 6, 2009

'09......them changes (Part II)

...continuing....
B.) I want to read more. Reading, for me, has consisted mostly of motorcycle magazines and the very occasional book. Those occasional books "teased" at the satisfaction regular readers enjoy, but I have not developed regular reading into a habit. That has already begun to change, but to take root and become part of a new normal, I must schedule it. Item "A" (previous post) of this manifesto affords the time to do so. I can use the time immediately before bed (in lieu of TV) for reading. And the abbreviated morning routine allows for reading to become part of my pre-work routine. Reading, I think, is either educating, inspirational, or recreational-although many, many examples straddle those categories. I need to, daily, begin the day with inspirational reading-either the Bible, or something based on or about Biblical themes, or, ideally both. Goals still further down the list are dependant on this daily spirit and attitude adjustment.
The evening reading can be anything I want! Even motorcycle magazines. But a "short list" of books is developing, and becoming not-so-short. [This very day, a good friend who has evolved into a mentor-particularly in matters of the spirit-has suggested a book that is now high on that list.] There are certain individuals I observe who, to me, lead idealized lives. I, of course, know that is probably rarely true, as I see only a fraction of their entire selves, but one of the desirable attributes of those folks is the breadth and depth of their reading. They are also, not coincidentally, often also the "28 hours per day" folks (previous post). I suspect they long ago put down the remote, learned to take shorter showers, and don't " sleep in" very often.
....Part III...soon. jls

No comments: