Wednesday, March 25, 2009

my amazing Dooder

I have two boys, who consistently amaze me. Their range of pursuits, the fun stuff they do make me wish I was back in high school, just so I could hang out with them-but if I was, I doubt I'd be cool enough to be in their crowd. They, of course, face the minefield of temptations and dangers that all modern teens face-and I'm increasingly alarmed by the evils that lurk in schools. And, they have not been completely unscarred by those evils. But "proud" inadequately describes how I feel about them. Today, I need to brag about the younger one, Unit 2, Dooder, our 16 year old tenth grader, Jordan. Yesterday afternoon he competed, for the first time, as a pole vaulter. POLE VAULTER! And he cleared 9 feet! He has been a crosscountry runner since, I think, seventh grade, has run track as a distance guy (mile, 800, 4x400) also since middle school. He is among the leaders of the high school swim team. This year, on a whim, he tried pole vaulting and found he was pretty good at it. But that doesn't really surprise me-he's good at every thing he does-skateboarding, snowboarding, paintball. He is never satisfied with his times, as a swimmer or runner, and practices very hard-sometimes I'm afraid he demands too much of himself. He carries a tough academic schedule as well, and has often made the honor role. When I watch this young man run, or swim, and now polevault, I am just amazed! I am privileged to know him!
jls

No comments: