Saturday, June 6, 2009

speedin'

No matter how long
I've known that it's true,
It's hard to believe
that we move as we do.

Our Earth spins like crazy,
One whole turn each day.
800 miles per hour,
for us here in Pa.

You'd think we could feel it.
You'd think we could tell.
But I'd probably get carsick,
so it's just as well.

But that's not the end
of our ambient speed.
We're lassoed by Helios,
Flying round fast, indeed.

Astronomers tell us,
can this be right?
67000 miles per hour
all day and all night.

How can we stand still?
Why don't we fall?
Why aren't we hurled off
this blueish green ball.

Amazing. Fantastic,
yes that's For sure.
No, not the end, though
we're hurtling still more!

Our Sun's little family,
minus Pluto there's eight,
Zoom 'round the Milky Way.
Miles in a second? 158!!

Now, that's just crazy!
I can't grasp the pace
that my chair and my keyboard
are flying through space.

Yes, still more madness.
No, were not through.
Our Milky Way's zooming
at over half a mil, too!!

That's all I can handle,
I need to slow down!
All these big numbers
have my head spinnin' round.

But if you get stopped
for driving too fast
the policeman will look
in your window and ask...

You're moving quite fast, sir.
Do you know your speed?
Oh, yes I do sir.
Oh yes indeed.

Astronomically speaking,
per second one eighty five.
But my car's speedo
never passed 65.

No comments: